St. Brieux ClubhouseCulture and Tourism

St. Brieux Museum - located East of the St. Brieux Church on Barbier Drive. 

The St. Brieux Museum is open on Sundays during summer from June 19th to September 4th, 2016.

Sundays 11:00am to 4:00pm

History of St. Brieux Museum:

     The first Bretons to this region of Saskatchewan built a cavalry cross at what they referred to as the 'plaine'.  A log church was also constructed immediately but much closer to the lake.  The church served as a chapel, where mass was said, a residence for the priest and a post office.  A piece of the log from the church is on exhibit in the priest's office.

     A new and much larger church was built from 1916-1918, when it was blessed by the Bishop.  The corner stone is inscribed with the date 1916.  Because of the Great War, the church was not finished or furnished until 1918.  The rectory, which is the present museum was built in 1919, during the time of Father Barbier, a Parish priest from 1911-1926 who replaced Father LeFloch.  An addition was added in 1930 or 31.  The priest's office was the kitchen at one time and the present kitchen, maid's quarters and dining room were added on later.  The altar was where the present washroom was installed and the church-goers entered and exited through the French doors.  This larger amount of space was needed since the rectory served as a retreat for the priests of Ste. Marie de Tinchebray, a congregation originating in France.

     The rectory was sold to a parishioner in 1967 and a new rectory was built to the west of the church.  The old rectory eventually became a Senior Citizen's Center, and later was turned over to an interested group of citizens who transformed it into the museum you see today.

Contacts:    Margaret Fagnou   306-275-4908

                   Denis Mevel           306-275-2315

 

 

St. Brieux Drama Club - Interested in joining? Call Trevor Lindenbach

St. Brieux Regional Park - website: www.saskregionalparks.ca

Phone # (306) 275-2255

St. Brieux Golf Course - e-mail: stbrieuxgolfcourse@hotmail.ca

Phone# (306) 275 -4433

 

St Brieux Branch of the Wapiti Regional Library


The library is located in the St Brieux High School.  Library hours are:

Tuesdays    3;30pm-6:30pm

Wednesdays 3:30pm-7:30pm

Thursdays  3:30pm-7:30pm

November 2016 Programming   provides a craft or activity for children in the kindergarten to grade 6 range.    

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Weather

Map

View Location Map